Living the Dream…

A week ago I signed up for another Within-the-Frame workshop with David duChemin and Jeffrey Chapman. Tuscany this time.

This update is for those of you who know David and he asked me to post an image to Twitter so here we go.

Coming back last night David just wanted to take a shot of the reflections in the canal, but happened to fall down, like 15 feet and broke both his ancles, his hip and probably his wrist but we don’t know yet.

He’s in a good mood considering the circumstances so when Corwin called and probably asked how he was doing – the answer was “Living the Dream!”

David will be spending a month in bed on his back so TWITTER BEWARE!!

Signing

David flying above the canal in Pisa

David flying above the canal in Pisa

Legs

73 Responses to “Living the Dream…”

1. Erin Wilson says:

Thank you for posting photos, Eli. My over-active imagination can settle down now.

2. John Piercy says:

Prayers and Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery David

3. Tamara Lackey says:

bejeebus, David – so glad you’re still alive! get well soon, eat lots of pudding and feel free to skype anytime :)

4. I’m signing up for the “Jump outside of the frame” cliffdiving tours next year right now!

5. Thanks for the update, Eli.
    David makes his entries (and his exits) in style!
    Even with all the plaster casts that he’s covered with, there’ll never be enough to write all the FB & Twitter messages on

6. Robin says:

Thank you very much for the update!
    Best wishes and a speedy recovery for David!

7. Linda Taylor says:

Thanks for the update Eli. Funny how things work out. I was scheduled for the Tuscany trip and had to cancel last minute due to a devastating fire to our family business, I guess which gave you the opportunity to join the group. I know you are good friends with David and Jeffrey (I’ve seen the Twitter banter :-), so It must have been fate intervening that you could be there for the both of them. I’m sending lost of prayers and good wishes for his speedy recovery.

• Linda it definitely must have been you giving me the opportunity! Since I am already signed up for Laos and was also in Kathmandu I figured Tuscany was out of reach for my wallet but luckily my mum wanted to treat me to the trip. I love her. (Even if she hadn’t paid for the trip though!)

8. Serena says:

Best wishes for David! Thanks Eli for the update!

9. Jerod Foster says:

Thanks for the update, Eli! I’m sure David is thankful to have some great friends like you and Jeffrey around! Godspeed and here’s to making a great recovery David!

10. [...] me the opportunity to write it. I hope you’ll join me in wishing him a good recovery from the nasty fall he took yesterday in Italy while setting up to take a [...]

11. Scott Nickell says:

David, keeping you in our prayers, and looking for a speedy recovery.

12. minmohd says:

God be with you David, wishing you a speed recovery, insyallah.

13. susieq3c says:

Praying for a quick recovery!!! Thanking God the injuries were not worse. And thank you, David, for your wonderful attitude. Yes sir, you are living the dream and inspiring thousands of us to do the same.

14. Mike Lao says:

looks like he’s well taken cared of…david, wishing you a speedy recovery!

15. Scott beattie says:

I just finished reading visionmongers today, only to update twitter and find David is um, broken.

Pray you get better quickly.

16. Man, I am so sorry to hear about that. In the grand scheme of things, luckily it’s just bones and not internal organ damage.

I’m hope you have a speedy recovery!

Your Maui friend,
    Anna

17. Rusty_Tripod says:

I guess this means he will have time to write another book without being rushed. Good luck. Hope you are “bouncing” back soon, if this experience did not scare the bounce out of your.

18. Tusen tack for the update Eli – take good care of our friend.

David – speedy recovery to you!

Ellie

19. Larry says:

Get well soon!

20. Meg Arias says:

Phew. Glad to see he’s all in one piece. Perhaps from now on there will need to be someone always following him around with large pieces of foam and the like. “You’re going to shoot here? Hang on, let me put this down first.” ;-)

21. [...] about it from Jeffrey Chapman’s blog here. Eli Reinholdtsen posted some photos on her blog here, which seems to calm down overactive imaginations like [...]

22. Get well soon, David!

23. John Cowie says:

Sending you positive, healing energy David…

24. Thanks for the update. The photos really put into perspective how serious the damage was.

25. Brian Powell says:

Livin the dream :) *emphasis on the LIVIN part!*

Speedy recovery,

26. vilma says:

God be with you David,keeping you in my prayers .

27. Walter Rowe says:

David – hope you mend well and fast from everyone at TravelPhotographers.net.

28. AndyL says:

best wishes for a speedy and accurate recovery. You will remain in our thoughts…

29. Anna Velkey-Solvberg says:

I guess “Living the Dream” also means that when stuff like that happens, you are sorrounded by friends that care… What a great attitude, David! However, please, do get well fast, we need you “up and running”! And Eli thank you for being there for him, and through this post also for us!

30. Mario Mattei says:

Onward and upward, David! As we say in Turkish “geçmiş olsun”, get well.

And thanks to Jeffrey C for being a friend and support thru all this!

Mario

31. Sheila says:

Frightening time. Nice to see photos. Were you shaking when you shot the rescue shots?

32. Kim says:

What some photographers will do to “fly above the canal.” That will be quite the recovery time. I’m impressed by his attitude.

33. Daniel says:

Thanks for the update and posting the pictures!

34. Carl Licari says:

Now that I know your ok…. on a brighter note, just think, you’re going to get a new 5D MKII out of it! ;-D

35. [...] E podem ler mais sobre o acidente aqui e aqui. [...]

36. Cool boots Conquistador!!
    Get well soon!! sending lots of love and good vibes your way. I guess with so many good thoughts and prayers something has to work!

37. Prayers for a speedy healing.
    God bless you.

38. Marcia says:

Wishing you a speedy reovery. Our thoughts are with you

39. Pinky says:

Prayers for a speedy recovery David. A great time to reflect on your dreams and the blessings in your life. For everything there is a reason…Sending over a cyber hug for you. Thanks Eli for posting.

40. angela says:

oh wow.
    been following david’s misadventure…so glad that he will be home soon and that his sense of humour is absolutely intact.

those hospital shots kind of say it all, don’t they…
    thanks for the update and everyone take care.

41. Riz Crescini says:

“Livin’ the dream” That sums up the man that is Dave duChemin. Praying for you, friend!

42. Get well soon David, we miss you!! My prayers are with you =)

43. CJ Kern says:

Eli, I didn’t think you were going on this trip. Thanks for sharing the photos and give David my best for a speedy recovery. I thought one broken foot was bad…

44. Paul J says:

Get well soon!

45. Ken Toney says:

Thanks for update/photos! Our prayers are with David. I know there is a huge group following this accident, the pics took a while to download, David, hope you get back shooting soon. Ken

46. Paul Conrad says:

Wow.

Glad to hear it’s nothing life threatening.

Take care of yourself.

pablo

47. Dave Cross says:

Best wishes for a full recovery. May the thoughts and prayers of many, many people give you strength.

48. David,

So sorry to hear of your accident and injuries.

Here’s hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Best Wishes,

Scott

49. Kurt Wall says:

Thank you very much for update, Eli. Prayers for David and a speedy, complete recovery.

50. Thank you for the kind comments. I went back with Jeffrey to the hospital in Pisa this afternoon and David seemed much more cheerful this time.

I have reminded him to read the comments when he gets back on line.

If you haven’t read the full story, it is on Jeffrey Chapmans blog. Hopefully this is the correct link:

We arrived in Firenze this evening and I can’t wait to explore the city in the morning!

51. [...] warsztaty. Niestety, duChemin miał w trakcie fotografowania w Pizie poważny wypadek (informacje tutaj i tutaj). Trzymamy kciuki za jego szybki powrót do [...]

52. [...] Selling, Start Connecting (incidentally, David had a bad fall while working Italy, updates here and here). “You would never walk into a room and, without introducing yourself, assume that everyone wants [...]

53. Sandy Silva says:

Hi David,
    I read your blog on 4/20/2011 when you posted it and was so inspired by your insight and realized I needed to pursue my dream as you have…..After meeting you in SF at the tweet up I was driven to follow my dreams. Then to learn today what has happened to you just knocked the wind out of me. I thought self….David wouldn’t want me to feel so sad but to continue my commitment to my dreams and sacrifice to live my dream as you have at any cost….wow this is profound!!!! Bless you my friend and my prayers for a speedy recovery are coming your way….
    Sandy

54. Catherine R. says:

Wishing you a speedy recovery David!

Goes to show you, rocks and stones may break your bones BUT NEVER YOUR SPIRIT!!!

Can’t wait for your bounced-back tales and photos!

55. Pepijn says:

He Eli,

Thanks for the photos and update of David.

Your reflection photos rocks bytheway! :-)

Pepijn

56. Johanna says:

Thank you for posting the pictures! My prayers go out to David… he really was “Chasing Reflections”, huh?! :) Glad he had you all to help him through the first week and get him to Canada.

57. Thank you Pepijn and Johanna!
    Jeffrey told me all went well with Davids exit from the hospital and that he was “shipped” back to Canada this morning.

58. Aaron Wulf says:

Thanks for posting this update. Rooting for David – and a quick recovery.

59. Kitty Mason says:

Thanks for posting the photos! Amazing rescue by the paramedics/FD. I’m glad he is in good spirits and I’m sure any book he writes about his flight above the canal will be a bestseller!

Godspeed!

60. Niall David says:

Get well soon David. We’re all rooting for you!

61. [...] the incident in Pisa, check out Jeffrey Chapman’s blog HERE or Eli Reinholdsten’s blog HERE. Huge thanks to the Italy and Croatia Within The Frame participants for being so good to me, and my [...]

62. Gary Swann says:

Remember the Chinese Proverb David…

If you get up one more time than you fall
    you will make it through.

63. Alex Solla says:

What an amazing example of taking a horrible traumatic experience and finding something great, compassionate and wonderful in it. I cant imagine going through that kind of fall and keeping the level of composure David did. I am just floored. Thank you to everyone who helped!

-Alex

64. Dave Benson says:

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date and the great images…

Boy oh boy the lengths some people will go to to get a free ride in a cherry picker… :-)

Sure glad to hear David is back home and beginning the road to recovery…

65. [...] David duChemin recovers from a fall while photographing [...]

66. Anita Shaul says:

David -

My husband & I decided a couple of weeks ago to pack it up and move to Latin America. You have been one of my inspirations along the way to making that decision. We are applying to the Peace Corps – Warren did a stint in Jamaica many years ago. We are both over 60, and have already had many adventures along the way. One of the biggest fears is something medical happening, and not having insurance. Discovering yesterday what you are going through put me face to face with the reality of what can happen… I didn’t reflect long on whether or not to continue with the plan, but the brief reflection did reinforce how strongly I feel that it is time for this new page in life. We expect to leave in fall of 2012. Don’t know if I’ll get a chance to meet you before we go, but you will be traveling with us in spirit.

Anita Shaul

67. Eli R. says:

David has his own blog post out now so I suggest further greetings should be added to his post on the link above.

68. [...] blog indlæg om sin ulykke, og andre har også skrevet om den, f.eks Jeffrey Chapman og norske Eli Reinholdtsen, som var vidner til [...]